Pages - Menu

November 19, 2014

Today's Headline

This is today's top headline which made me really happy.

Jakarta gets first Christian governor in 50 years


Two days ago, I mentioned something related to that news in my Nation & Nationalism class.
I told the class that the only thing, which is actually the most vital thing, I (/we) didn't learn back then in school was tolerance.
Especially, religious tolerance.
Didn't mean to sound arrogant, but I did learn it on my own while my surroundings (my school teachers & my parents) taught me the other way around.
My religion teachers at school always told me that all Christians would go to hell that we (Muslim) should have been thankful for not being part of them, which then made me look at my Christian friends differently for a long period of time. Because of that as well, I even used to think their lives weren't as sacred as mine.
My parents never allowed me to date a Christian. I never know their exact reasons, but they were really angry once they knew I dated Christians twice.
Yes. I dated Christians twice, one of whom was totally intolerant with my religious preference.
He, more than one time, convinced me that his god was much better than mine.
I used to think he was such a pathetic boy before realizing that it wasn't all his fault for being such a bigot actually.
It's the society's fault for making him, my school teachers, my parents (& us) become like that.
I know that putting all the blame on the society will not bring any kind of peace in this world.
But that's the truth I can tell you now from my perspective.
The society always tells children that everybody is unique. That each of us is different.
But none of them tells us about how to deal with those differences.
How to deal with Christians; a guide for Muslims.
How to deal with homosexuals; a guide for heterosexuals.
How to deal with disabled people; a guide for normal people.
How to deal with the poor; a guide for the rich.
All in all, it's indeed about how the majority deals with the minority.
According to some friends of mine's confession in the class, I can conclude that the minority doesn't urgently need to learn from the start about how to deal with those kind of things cause they know it already. In other words, it is the the majority who should start learning about tolerance. This might sound like an overgeneralization, but, again, that's just my thought.
If you don't agree and can't find the similarity between our notion, can you deal with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment