Pages - Menu

December 19, 2023

3 - wishing we were twins

I hated it when Teteh started going to school in 1996.
No Teteh at home meant No Fun.
Seriously, who knew my house could be so dull without her around?
I was totally not ready.

Every morning,
I'd get all emotional,
I'd shed a tear or two (……two rivers),
I'd get told for a thousand time that I gotta wait until I was 4,
I'd be hopelessly wishing that Teteh and I were twins, 
and
I'd beg Mama to let me wear clothes that matched Teteh's snazzy school uniform.

Once Teteh and I were all dressed in the “same” uniform, we would stroll to school with Mama.
Teteh's school was super close to our house. 
And I had a soft spot for Teteh’s school.
It was big with so many vibrant paintings on the walls.
At that time I wondered why people didn't paint their houses like that. It would be so cool.

And there were friendly teachers in Teteh's class. 
Sometimes, her teachers even let me sit in the classroom for a bit. 
Mama said that they allowed me in because they felt sorry seeing me show up at the school with a face still red from crying.

I enjoyed sitting in her class, even though my seat was far from Teteh.
I had to sit way at the back, close to the door. 
Teteh’s friends usually gave me those skeptical look. But, come on!!!
In my defense, my clothes looked pretty similar to their uniforms!

The days when I got to sit in Teteh's class were my lucky days.
On the not-so-lucky days, my role was limited to walk Teteh to her classroom before heading home with Mama.
On the way back, I always brushed away my tears because I wanted to go to school just like Teteh.
I really did. 

While waiting for Teteh to finish school, I would play with Mama.
Playing with Mama was fun, but it was even more exciting when the three of us played together as we usually did. 
Time felt like it was taking forever while I waited for Teteh to finish school. 
But you know what made it all worth it???
You know what was the best part of waiting???
Picking Teteh up after school!!!
That part was a blast because Teteh would spill the beans with loads of cool stories about her day. 
I got a sneak peak of the school world through Teteh's stories.
Teteh would tell me about her friends. I even knew the name of the prettiest friend in her class. And also the names of the troublemakers.
Teteh was making a bunch of cool new friends who were just as young as she was. It was a whole new world because our neighbors didn't have any kids my age or Teteh's age.

Listening to Teteh’s stories was my favorite thing. 
It made me look forward to my own school days. 
I couldn't wait for my turn to start school.
I couldn’t wait to be in the same school as Teteh!

---

P.S.:
Put in mind that I was just a 3-year-old kid when this all happened. 
But this bitter memory still hangs around like an unwelcome guest. 
That's why I think I needed to write this all down too. Maybe it'll be a little guide. 
And hopefully, no more kids would feel as clueless as I was. 

Fast forward to the time when I got all into Psychology...
I discovered that what I went through had a legit term:
If you are a parent and have more than one kid, my advice is to explore some articles on the topic.
Just click that keyword.
Learn the tricks.
Apply what works best for your little ones. 

My mama did her best back then in the pre-Internet era.
But now that we've got the internet right at our fingertips, why don't we make the most of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment